Lagos State: 100 prospective tenants battle over 13 flats

14:31Unknown

No fewer  than 100 prospective tenants, Monday, stormed Office of the Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola, demanding the governor’s intervention as they claimed that they were duped by the landlord of the building at 59 Oriola Street, Alapere, Ketu, Agboyi-Ketu Local Council Development Area, LCDA.

The protesters who stormed the Alausa Secretariat at about 10:00 am, with their placards denouncing activities of the alleged fraudsters, called for urgent intervention that would lead to their arrest and prosecution.

It was gathered that the building which they started building last year had 13 mini apartments which were already subscribed for before its completion on June 30, this year.

Sources also said the developer had last April duped 100 prospective tenants at 12, Daniel Makinde Street, Ikosi-Ketu, Ikosi-Isheri LCDA, of about N50 million.

The prospective tenants explained that the landlord identified as Alhaji Ishola Salawudeen, after collecting the huge amount issued receipt to each of them and promised to hand over the keys yesterday.

One of the tenants, Mrs. Lateefat Folami, said: “I and my husband went to the house this morning with keys to take possession of our apartment, only to arrive at the house at 8:00 am and find out that our mini-flat had already been occupied by another tenant since yesterday (Sunday).

“Where do we raise the fund for new apartment after we had paid N520, 000 cash to Alhaji.”

Miss Ngozi Ane, another prospective tenant, said: “I paid N250,000 as advance payment for a mini-flat at the apartment. And I promised to give the landlord the balance of N85, 000 today, which he agreed. But to my surprise, I discovered that the landlord had collected money from seven persons for the same apartment.”

Another tenant, Mr. Udehin Ugo, said: “I took my property there with the intention to sleep there today. But I was shocked that someone was already occupying my mini-flat for which I paid N360,000. All efforts to get the landlord proved abortive, as all his telephone lines were switched off.”

Mr. Olalekan Agboola, who secured the security post to pack his property after he had paid N360,000, said: “My brother what will I do. I thank God that I can secure this place to protect my property from the rain.”

Lagos govt appeals  for calm

After several minutes of waiting, an official of the state government (names withheld) appealed to the protesters to return home, saying: “Please we have received your letter. We will hand it over to the governor. And in the next two weeks, come back. The governor will attend to you.”

When Newsmen visited the house at about 1:00 pm, a mild drama occurred, as dozens of people stormed the house to take possession of their apartments, but were halted by those who were already occupying them.

As the fight continued, residents and prospective tenants had to run for cover, after touts supporting one of the tenants stormed the house with various arms to evict some of the tenants.


(vanguard)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images

Contact Form