Breaking: Blessing Okagbare wins gold in women’s 100m at Commonwealth Games

14:43Unknown


Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare shocked Veronica Campbell-Brown, to win gold in the final of the women’s 100m at the Commonwealth Games on Monday.

The sprinter finished the race at a time of 10.85 seconds, setting a new Commonwealth Games record in Glasgow, breaking Debbie Ferguson’s 12-year record of 10.91 seconds.

“I am so excited right now! A new season’s best and win,” she told BBC.

“I’m happy I was able to put on a show. I executed it and stayed patient like my coach said I should and after 70 metres it just felt easy! I still have the 200m and the long jump and I’m looking forward to both of those events now.”

Okagbare, who won long jump silver and 200m bronze at the 2013 world championships, clocked a Games record of 10.85sec.

Jamaican duo Veronica Campbell-Brown and Kerron Stewart took silver and bronze at Hampden Park in 11.03 and 11.07sec respectively.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images

Contact Form